Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lion Hearts Arise!


In less than a month I will be settling into my new site, in Port Elizabeth. My Field Internship with Grassroot Soccer's Programs division begins!

I am very grateful for all the support I have received from readers like you. I have managed to raise enough to fly to South Africa, and cover initial expenses associated with the internship (See left pane for details). The comments and feedback I have been receiving, from friends, family, supporters and observers alike has been inspirational. The more I hear from people the more responsible I feel. I am part of an organization doing innovative work in dealing with one of mankind's biggest challenges. I firmly believe in the work the organization does and I hope to be able to reflect on it via this blog. Thank you for your support, and keep supporting worthy causes! We needs hearts of lions to conquer the disasters of today!

Question: If your life expectancy was a little over 30, would you fight back?



Ever since, I was a little boy, the lion has always been my favorite animal. In high school I was in a dorm (or House as we called them) whose emblem was "Shumba" (lion in my native Shona language) Today I still hold affection, for the most regal of beasts in the African Savannah where conditions can be harsh, but survivors thrive and adapt. Before I start likening HIV/AIDS to a lion's prey I would like to say that I believe in fighting the disease head on with no fear and with courage. All the great work being done around the world, especially on the African continent is admirable. Uganda and Botswana have seen significant drops in infection rates, and work to engage the youth and help those already infected is extremely important. This disease will not be beaten by half steps, false promises and weak action. It rather needs conscious, deliberate and bold efforts to make it history. A lot of it points to a change in behavior on an individual level, but education to spur these individual choices is important too. I'll borrow a phrase from Hans Rosling, who refuses to call himself an optimist or a pessimist but a possibilist.

Optimism sometimes leads us to pass of responsibility to others and pessimism tends to drive people to do nothing, neither is beneficial to the hundreds of thousands of children or people without access to HIV/AIDS education who may contract the disease because of a lack of adequate knowledge.

I want to thank you for reading this post to the end, which means you care. Lets strive to be possibilists and make things happen where we are, it all counts. Check out the Grassroot Soccer website and check out the important work they are doing to reach children in sub-Saharan Africa. Whatever charity you choose to support or action you take, you are actively investing in the possibility of less and less people becoming infected by the scourge to our society that is HIV AIDS.

Let lion hearts arise and win!

Before you go! Check out this quote from Abraham Lincoln, I believe it is extremely relevant in the present discussion on AIDS:

It is not “can any of us imagine better?” but, “can we all do better?” The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise — with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.' Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$