Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Back to school fever!

The last time I wore school uniform, I was in my final year at Peterhouse Boys school in Marondera, Zimbabwe. Recruiting schools for our interventions in the last 2 weeks has reminded me of my own school days, when a pressed shirt and well shined shoes were the norm.

Regardless of the standard of a school, there is a dignity and pride held by students in their school uniforms as they seek knowledge that will better their future. Uniform is mandatory in most schools in the region, and sadly in some cases it reflects a person's socio-economic status.

In our meetings with school principals and teachers we pitch our curriculum, with the hope of spending an hour a day, twice a week for  four to five weeks with their students. Titie has led the charge in this for the New Brighton site and I have been tagging along to lend a hand. Logistics can be tricky but we have managed to recruit 7 schools so far, with interventions starting at 8:00a.m. this morning. Since we now have more coaches we can work with more kids, which is great.

Some interventions will happen during school hours, in time slots reserved for "Life Orientation" which most schools have. However in some cases we can only work with the kids during after-school hours. In these cases, we start at 2:00p.m. Our increased targets are mainly focused on our core Skillz curriculum, but we will also be scaling up work on the new Generation Skillz curriculum.

One of our coaches, who's taken up the role of motivational speaker in our team has declared the new year: 20elevation - and so it begins!

The glory days: Photo opp with some of my high school peers (I'm seated bottom right)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$