Monday, August 2, 2010

Homecoming

Only a matter of days before the internship with Grassroot Soccer begins and I am now at home in Harare, Zimbabwe! Leaving Providence, R.I. where I attended school at Providence College has finally made me truly aware of the fact that I am out of school. I am glad to be working with an organization whose work I believe in. Having been to South Africa once before I have few pre-conceived notions about the country. I will be taking an open mind and a willingness to make myself a resource to GRS. The need to fight against HIV/AIDS is great, and victory is plausible, but only possible if a lot of work is done.

Here in my native Zimbabwe the fight against the disease is just as important as anywhere else, since we have one of the highest infection rates in the world. In fact my life expectancy as a Zimbabwean stands in the late 30s or early 40s depending on which stats you are looking at! Grim reading indeed, considering all I’d like to achieve in my life. I will certainly fight bag, and my GRS internship will be one of more moves I hope to make to educate myself and help educate others about the scourge that is AIDS. It is indeed time to rise with the occasion and play my humble part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$