Tuesday, August 10, 2010

window seat inspiration

In 24 hours I’ll be heading to Port Elizabeth, South Africa. My mode of transport from Harare, Zimbabwe…road! A journey spanning over a thousand kilometers, it will be the longest trip of my entire life. It may not be the furthest trip I’ve ever embarked upon but it will certainly be the longest time I’ve spent travelling!

I get to cross 2 countries as I leave the Sunshine City (Harare, Zimbabwe), heading towards the Windy City (I think that’s what they call Pretoria, South Africa!) My only concern for this trip is whether or not I will get a window seat! I wonder if the Greyhound has assigned seating (my ticket has a seat number for the two legs of the journey but this could just be cursory)??. I am obsessed with them and for a trip like this I think the window seat will be enhanced in its importance. The trip will hold more significance as I observe the state of the country I left 4 years ago to pursue a college education and I also get to see what South Africa is like (at least the 16 stops the bus will make and the landscape on the side of the road!). Most of my journey will be overnight, no doubt a convenience for such a long traverse considering the need for sleep. I leave for Harare on Wednesday night at 8pm reaching Johannesburg the next day at about noon (there may be some delay time at the border). In Jo’burg I will have to switch buses and catch the 545pm one which eventually gets to Port Elizabeth the next day, Friday at 930am, hopefully I’ll have some great stories to tell, although I am not sure what sort of stories bus travel will produce. Soon enough I'll know..

I’m charging up my ipod, packing some literature, pen and pads (for when I decide to draw up a 5 year plan or formulate some world changing ideas). In anticipation of the Greyhound, I’ve promised myself not to get bored! My senses will be especially heightened as I seek to intrigue readers of this blog in my next post as I make a case for long distance cross-country travel!

They say life is a journey and not a destination, well I agree and I think this particular journey can be talked of in its own breath as an experience of a life time. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$