Saturday, August 14, 2010

PE!

As I settle into my home, for the next year I can't help but marvel at the distance I've covered to get here. Long Distance road travel just isn't that glamorous, no matter how much of a tourist you feel like! Most of my trip was overnight, hence I dodn't get to see much of Zimbabwe. I saw more of the South African side since I had a longer distance to travel and what I saw was a country basking in its recent crowning moment: successfully hosting the FIFA World Cup.

Flags everywhere you look, massive billboards welcoming visitors and normal South Africans still sporting Bafana Bafana jerseys and those of other World Cup playing nations. I regretably missed the boat!

Port Elizabeth has its own unique charm, and I'm discovering it bit by bit. On Friday as soon as I arrived I was welcomed by some of the GRS coaches. I was taken to our base in Zwide township at Sithembile primary school. Got to meet one of my fellow interns Joel and my supervisor Mpumi. More GRS coaches were hanging out at Sithembile and it was an honor to meet the people that are so dedicated to the important work Grassroot Soccer does. We usually have weekends free, so I've been trying to unpack and get settled in my new environment. Hoping to get a camera soon, so I can give you all an idea of what I see and experience!

Work begins Monday, and I'm ready!





The hound that got me to PE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$