Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A moment of clarity

I am in a new country experiencing its people, culture, languages, traits, traditions, prejudices, and weather for the course of a year. Although I was born and raised in neighbouring Zimbabwe, I cannot claim to have extensive views and insights on this country besides general viewpoinbts that I have developed through my learning and television.
At times when you read this blog you might mistakenly think that I am foreign to Africa and its unique localities and lets face it oddities at times.  I am an African through and through (born and raised here, for the first 19 years of my short life) and I have seen and experienced the many aspects of life on the continent, but not all.

Driving into the township of Zwide every morning is incredibly humbling, especially for someone who hasn't  experienced township life extensively. And again we're only working in the township, not living and breathing it day and night. As much as there is economic lack in places like this, the undoubted spirit of opportunism and genuine joy in day to day interactions does exist. Without being too romantic about the whole scenario, I must qualify my statements and say that crime and violence are very much present and they are an unfortunate aspect of life in the township, but I believe in the good of the majority of people living here more than the negative element. 

Looking at the townships of Port Elizabeth (especially the ones we work in mainly: Zwide being our base) is especially humbling when I consider how people living in townships back in Zimbabwe, are possibly worse off economically considering our country’s recent struggles. I only hope and pray that the work of the like of GRS can help the people gain access to more opportunities as they seek to pull themselves out of a life of lack. I think the resourcefulness that exists among the people of the township is a lesson in creating something out of perceived lack.

Africa will always amaze and intrigue me. I am always seeking inspiration from its people, whether it be family, friends or people leading special lives. Either way, I’m encouraged and hopefull. 

Viva Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$