Friday, August 20, 2010

KILO!

(demonstration of a Kilo! at one of the GRS sites)

Today was a special day. Perhaps the biggest moment of clarity in this whole internship experience. Grassroot Soccer is an organization like no other and the culture and tone of the organization is truly inspirational. Today I got to meet most of the GRS coaches based in Port Elizabeth, as they all attended one of their weekly development sessions in the PE Office at Sithembile primary school. These special people deliver crucial messages concerning HIV/AIDS to at risk kids in the community.

I must say I was unsure how this experience would go, considering the fact that I am still finding my feet here. However I could not have felt more welcomed and crucially, energized!

Part of the development sessions are opportunities for 3 coaches to teach one lesson each to the other coaches. This gives them the opportunity to practice and perfect a curriculum that is very specific in its aims at sending the right messages to the kids that receive instruction. The coaches are a happy bunch, whose role in the community is crucial. Their role in the organization is crucial also in itself considering that they directly impact the youths whose lives will hopefully be impacted positively by the work Grassroot Soccer.

I got my first KILO today! This is an expression of praise used with the kids the coaches work. If a person does something commendable the rest of the group gives that person a Kilo! (2 claps and a loud Whoooooooooo). Praise is crucial to GRS's work, considering the work they do and the kids they aim to reach I've grown to understand the importance of positive reinforcement for kids. At the development session there must have been 20 Kilos! which was new to me, but the level of energy was maintained start to finish. I got mine after answering a question correctly.

We have another development session tomorrow, can't wait to see how this one goes. I'd also like to learn all the coach's names. So far I have about 7, we'll have to see how I do.

2 comments:

  1. Kilo? Before reading the entire blog entry, I was a lil concerned...I thought you were given a kilo of cocaine lol

    Keep the posts coming, I enjoy reading them!

    GMC Forever,
    Kesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the support Kesh, I appreciate it! Keep reading...more to come.

    ReplyDelete

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$