Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Programs.

I know many people have requested a formal description of my position here in South Africa. Here’s the definition of my job by the book. Its really important to note that GRS is a growing organization (rapidly, I have to say) and our positions are fluid as opposed to fixed, so as a Programs intern I can end up doing Operations, Marketing or Community relations work!

Here it is:
The purpose of the position is to gain on-the-job experience with HIV/AIDS prevention youth volunteer programs and develop community health skills.

Responsibilities:

Depending on the goals, skills and interests of the intern as well as current priorities in the Programs department. These may include:

1. Assist in planning and implementing GRS recruiting/training/education programs.
2. Recruit community based volunteers.
3. Network with community organizations to develop relationships and promote GRS products, programs and services.
4. Plan, coordinate and represent GRS community events as necessary.
5. Help develop the skills and build capacity field staff and local GRS coaches.
6. Assist with collecting and reporting on program monitoring and evaluation data.

Here’s a description I submitted to the GRS site, its basically what I see my job to be so far, from what I’ve learnt and been told:

I am a Programs intern. I will working directly with the Master Coaches, Head Coaches and Skillz in their attempts to recruit youths to the program through the different schools serving the New Brighton, Zwide and Motherwell townships in Port Elizabeth. I will also be assisting coaches acquire all the materials necessary to make sure the curriculum is delivered in the most effective way possible. At weekly development sessions I will help assist coaches improve their curriculum delivery through co-facilitating the sessions, giving them feedback, and taking their own feedback to the Site Co-ordinator and the Master Coaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the Cause!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I am currently fund raising for an internship experience with Grassroot Soccer starting in August 2010. My goal is to raise $5,000 for living expenses and flights (currently at $4,392). I would appreciate your contribution to the cause!
$